I'm heading off to Spring Weekend at my alma mater Geneseo State this weekend. I'll be hangin' with a bunch of my buds from the day who will be acting like big muckety-mucks from the real world.
In reality, not long ago they were stressing out as graduation approached with no job in sight.
As graduation days are fast approaching and the stress of not having a job after college is probably freaking out many current soon-to-be-grads. As the old song says, "don't worry, be happy".
According to a Gradstaff survey, 86% of respondents hadn't yet found a job either.
Lets face it:
1. Right now, you have the best living situation you'll have for a long time.
- Moving home really isn't that bad... no rent and the fridge is usually stocked. (let's focus on the good things here rather than the fact that you have to tell Mom & Dad where you're going each day)
2. You can lay on the couch all day... and not have to use a sick day.
- You can literally sit around an do nothing... and not feel bad about it. No more homework, no calling in sick to work... right now you're a professional couch potato... EMBRACE IT.
3. Now you actually have time to search for a job.
- Now there is really not excuse for you to find a job. You don't have a paper due or an exam to cram for. You can walk over to your fully stocked fridge, grab a cup of orange juice then open up your lap top and let the hunt begin.
4. You have free time for other things too.
- Want to hang out with your parents? You can. Want to see that matinee movie that you've been dying to go to? You can. You can pick up the odd jobs here and there of babysitting for the neighbor, walking a dog here or there to pick up some extra cash. But, the ability to hang out with other jobless friends or visit your grandma every week... you have the time so take advantage of it!
5. You are SO blessed to not have to spend the majority of your day with coworkers.
- Especially the ones you don't like. You're FREE. Think of that kid in class who asked all the questions and took up everyone's precious time... imagine spending EIGHT HOURS A DAY with that person. You'll have that coworker at some point in your life. Enjoy your personal time now.
6. All the attention is on you.
- You just graduated college. Everyone is so proud of you right now, get ready for an abundance of congratulatory messages. You won't have attention like this until you get engaged. Own it.
7. You have the time to think about and find a job that actually makes you excited.
- We've all had a job that we're not fond of... don't let that be you. Take the time after you graduate to find something that's gonna make you happy each day you walk through the door. Reflect on the time you have to really hone in and figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life.
- When you do get a job... you'll probably have to wake up earlier than you're used to. Take advantage of getting to sleep til' noon. You'll miss it.
9. No dress code. This is important.
- Right now, with no job.. you don't have a dress code. HOW AWESOME IS THAT. Unless you find a career path that is really flexible.. you're gonna be wearing dress pants. Take advantage of sweatpants and hoodies while you can.
10. Passion... follow something you're passionate about.
- I've said this before and I'll say it again. Not everyone is lucky enough to find a job that they love. Take this time to find something you're passionate about. You won't regret it.
Read more HERE.